The foundation of oral health
Think of your oral health as a beautiful piece of architecture. While a building may appear to be structurally sound on the surface, if the foundation isn’t laid properly, it will eventually crumble. Similarly, when it comes to oral health, your teeth may appear to be in good health right now, but if you are lacking in the oral hygiene department, it’s only a matter of time before the whole system will start to fail.
You do your part
When we only see you twice yearly for cleanings and checkups, the other 363 days out of the year are up to you. You are the most important player when it comes to your oral health. That’s why, at Spring Creek Dentistry, we place a strong emphasis on patient education to give you the tools, skills, and knowledge to keep your mouth clean and healthy at home. Here’s some advice straight from the oral health professionals so you can ace your next checkup:
- Nutrition – Your diet plays a huge part in your oral health; minimize sugar and highly acidic foods and beverages.
- Brush – You should brush for two minutes at least twice a day, ideally after eating or drinking. Use an electric toothbrush for the most effective clean (we recommend Sonicare®), and don’t forget to reach all the way to the back, and brush the tongue.
- Floss – Flossing is an important step in your oral hygiene routine. You should floss every day, before your nightly brushing to remove plaque between teeth.
- Rinse – Rinsing with mouthwash will kill 99% of germs in your mouth that brushing and flossing cannot.
- Water – When brushing is not an option, rinsing with water after eating or drinking is a great way to minimize plaque and decay.
We’ll do ours
We hope you’ve done your best to implement the oral homecare routine above, now it’s time for your regular cleaning and exam. You’re in luck because we have one of the best hygiene teams in Spring, TX. We will remove any and all plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth to help prevent disease and decay before it progresses. All of our hygienists and assistants are extremely gentle, yet impressively thorough to give you a deep clean that will leave you with that “fresh from the dentist” clean feel.
If you have any questions about oral hygiene, or would like to schedule a cleaning with your Spring dentist – Dr. Oakley, Dr. Henley, Dr. Miller, or Dr. Wendt – please contact us at Spring Creek Dentistry today at (281) 407-8333.